Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Yehuda Avner served as advisor/speech-writer to 4 Israeli prime-ministers. His lovely memoirs record the events of Israeli history up through the Begin years. He was a true servant of the Jewish people. The Prime Ministers, is a must read for all people interested in recent Jewish history, especially in how the White House deals with the leaders of the Jewish State.
He is pictured above at R Moshe Feinstein's residence with R Moshe Sherer, R Yaakov Kamenetzky, R Yitzchok Hutner, RMF and PM Menachem Begin.
Monday, March 23, 2015
The tragic fire in Flatbush that consumed so many lives R"L is heart-rending.
Hopefully this will serve as a wake-up call for people to make sure that they have working smoke alarms that are tested on a regular basis.
I understand human nature has an intrinsic need for news that is local and affects us all, yet I wonder why various media feel the need to publish countless stories, pictures, levaya hookups etc.
I sure hope it is not for selfish (ratings) reasons.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Monday, March 16, 2015
Tuesday, March 17, representatives from Bais Yaakov's across the country will be represented in Brooklyn's Barclays Center to honor Sorah Schenirer, founder of the BY movement. It has been 80 years since her passing.
Perhaps the 100th Yahrtzeit will be in Yankee Stadium.
Hat Tips: The Partial View
The Partial View 2
- Rabbi Deutch of the Living Torah Museum says that the video of the CC was briefly posted on the internet 4 and 1/2 years ago but then taken down because of copyright issues.
- Also says that the famous picture of the CC is actually the butcher of Radin.
- National Archives had this video for over 10 years already.
- CC is really walking slowly, but all newsreels of olden times appear much quicker than actual.
- Another video of the CC is available, showing CC selling his sefarim. He expects it to come out in next few months. He says he has this video.
- There is a video of R Shimon Skopp giving shiur in RIETS, but it is not being released bec some feel it is not Kovodik, as he was giving shiur in YU.
- Interview by NYCPhotog/Shimon Gifter.
Updated with new picture video of CC on 3/19/15
Monday, March 2, 2015
I have been rereading the ArtScroll biography of the Chafetz Chaim, written by Rabbi Moshe Yoshor and translated by Rabbi Charles Wengrov.
One of the puzzling things I found is that the Chofetz Chaim was camera shy, yet on page 507, in a footnote, we find the following:
Hidden in a chest drawer in his home, the Chafetz Chaim kept pictures of Rav Nachum of Hurodna, Reb Shimon Caftan, and Reb Mordechai of Lidda. He would often take them out to look at them, and say to members of his household, "Children, you have no idea what great Jews they were. They were concealed tsaddikim."